Saturday, August 14, 2010

Welcome to the Blog

Welcome to The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo. Actually the Nickelodeon show, which ran from 1996 to 1998 and starred Irene Ng as the title character, has little to nothing to do with this blog. I just thought it was a cool name. Interesting. Different. Random Fun Fact #1- Irene Ng went to Harvard. Seriously. You can verify for yourself right here if you don't believe me.

And yes, we're gunna count Random Fun Facts. Consider that Random Fun Fact #2.

So who am I? I am a moderately humorous and wildly sarcastic, 1L at Brooklyn Law School. Starting this week actually.

What is this gunna be about? Really whatever I feel like talking about. Law School. The Mets/Jets/Knicks/(and almost certainly not but in the case of simultaneous NBA and NFL lockouts) Islanders. Politics. My life at Brooklyn Law, my old life at THE George Washington University, or my older life as a pre-college student, if I'm feeling really nostalgic. Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, The Office, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Community, 30 Rock, Ace of Cakes, Arrested Development, Entourage, Real Housewives of New Jersey and The West Wing.

Fun Fact #3- I will never actually talk about one of the TV shows listed immediately above.

Spoiler Alert- The one I'll never talk about (as referred to in Fun Fact #3) doesn't star Ellen Pompeo, Taye Diggs, Steve Carrell, Neil Patrick Harris, Kaley Cuoco, Ty Burrell, Allison Brie, Tracy Morgan, Duff Goldman, Portia de Rossi DeGeneres*, Jeremy Piven, or Bradley Whitford.

*Fun Fact #4- Portia de Rossi legally changed her name to DeGeneres last week. Again, I'll source my work. Yes, I just used TMZ as a source. Deal with it. Anyway, I'll probably keep referring to her as Portia de Rossi. But if you get confused because she starts being commonly referred to as Portia DeGeneres, just know this is who I mean.

I might also start talking about the news (we'll get to this in a little bit.) Or new candy that comes out. BTW try the Pretzel M&Ms. Phenominal. Not just phenominal. Phe-nominal. Like how Jim Rome says it. Actually more like Frank Caliendo says it when he's impersonating Jim Rome. Why yes, I will source. Professor Kim Gross would be so proud.

Professor Kim Gross was my senior thesis advisor at THE George Washington University School of Media and Public Affairs last spring. I wrote my thesis on how public opinion is affected by media personalities like Glenn Beck and Keith Olbermann. If there's a really slow day, maybe I'll blog about that.

Maybe I'll talk about Broadway. I've done acting, stage managing, and directed a show at GW in November of 2007. I even ended it with the Macarena. By the way, I applied to direct 4 times after Lend Me a Tenor, so if anyone at GW the last 2 years wanted to do Grease, Neil LaBute's The Mercy Seat*, Rent, or Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, don't blame me. If there's anyone to blame its Samantha Dercher, Kiernan McGowan, and Emily Anderson. But don't blame them either. I actually genuinely like all three of them. Here, to prove it I'll link to Sam's blog.

*The Mercy Seat was my favorite play of any I read whenever I looked at scripts for possible directing. I think Neil LaBute is brilliant. The Shape of Things is one of the best shows I saw done at GW, and Some Girls was up there too. The Mercy Seat is about a guy who worked at the WTC, and missed work, and his life on September 12. You should read it.


Now, on to the matter of the news. As in, maybe you saw me on the news last week. This summer, I worked as an intern at the Queens branch of the Legal Aid Society. On my second-to-last day of work (Tuesday August 10), I was shadowing one of the attorneys, Howard Turman, at arraignments. One of our clients just happened to be a certain not-quite-former JetBlue flight attendant. I can't tell you anything that was said, but I will say Steven Slater seemed like a very nice man. After the arraignment (the judge set $2,500 bail, he paid it and is currently out awaiting his next trial date on September 7, and presumably soaking in all the attention being given to him) I stood with Howard, who is blind, as he answered questions from the media. This image made it to all the national news networks, plenty of local NY news, and The New York Times. That's me, all the way on the right of the picture. While my internship is finished (and it was wonderful the rest of the time as well) and Mr. Slater is likely to retain private counsel, I will certainly be following the case closely, and commenting on it in here.

Anyway, that wraps up blog post #1. I'll be back tomorrow for more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to add? Anything? Come on. You must have something to say.